Sunday, September 16, 2012

what to do with procrastination????

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake..." – Francis Bacon, Sr.

Here it is, the evening before the Jewish New Year, and instead of filling my head with thoughts of the possibilities of the upcoming year, I am experiencing in a very strong and intense way, the procrastination plague.  Oh, you've heard of it?  Where does procrastination come from?  Why is it so difficult to release and even after releasing once or twice, it's like an addiction....in every situation that's a trigger for me, it rears its ugly head. 
Some people say that they work better under pressure, so they procrastinate on purpose, waiting for the last possible moment to have that adrenalin kick into gear, work non-stop for a day or two and produce an exceptional product. 
That's just not me.  I like to plan.  I like to think, rethink, try on, change my mind....it can be maddening.  so maybe for me, procrastination is about perfection.  I want what I do to be good, great, outstanding.  and then the fear of failure kicks in, and oh boy. 
so where am I procrastinating?  this is a good place to begin to alter the cycle.  where does it show up?
I have a work project that's new and exciting and I very much want and need the support of others to succeed.  fear of judgement.  I thought I gave that up.  I'm over 50, I don't care what people think.  This is a bit different: I want my message to get across.  I believe in my message.  The way I present will affect how my message is received.  so I deliberate and procrastinate and even feel some anxiety.
What if I don't do it right? 
As I write this, I am already releasing the tension.  if I don't get it perfect, I will be fine.  there is no perfection.  I just need to start. 
Actually writing this blog is one of the projects that I've been procrastinating over.  so hey, good for me, I took a step.  I'm rambling a bit, but it's opening my thoughts, getting me into action and I'm starting to feel good again.
so here it is:
fthink about times when procrastination was very strong.  where were you at in your life?  what were you trying to avoid?  what feelings were you stuffing?
Identify the thought, the sentence, the belief that accompanied the inaction.
challenge the thought, the sentence, the belief.  try on other options. is it really true or is it a line we've always told ourselves or someone else has told us?
Let go of this limiting belief.  even if you still believe it, let it go.
Ask for help: your partner, your buddy, your best girlfriend...someone you trust.

pick a goal- something very measurable that you just put off.
break it down.
begin. 


Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake..." – Francis Bacon, Sr.

beautiful!
wishing everyone, in every culture, a peaceful, productive and love-filled year.

In joy and peace,
brenda

1 comment:

  1. Lovely piece, Brenda. I don't know WHY I just happened to see it now, so many months later, but I'm glad I did. You write so well, and I can certainly relate! Hope all is well... Lisa

    ReplyDelete